The Oxford English dictionary definitions:
Gratefulness means “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Appreciation means “the recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.
Definition-wise, these two words don’t seem to differ much, but it is worthwhile to note that the definition of gratitude includes having appreciation; whereas the definition for appreciation does not require gratitude.
I picked these two words to talk with you about because they are so important in a relationship. When you are dating each other, these two things happen almost all the time. It is what makes you fall in love with each other. It brings each of you happiness to know you are appreciated.
So, if we know that being grateful and being appreciated brings happiness, what happens to make that not happen in your marriage? It is because we don’t know how our Creator set the plan up for a husband and wife. No one teaches us what that plan is, and if you don’t know it, I can say for sure as times goes on in your marriage that those two things will be forgotten in time and there will be no happiness in that home. I am going to make a list of a few things to help you know how to keep gratefulness and appreciation in your home; and as a result of following this principle, you will be closer to God.
- Gratitude makes us happy. In our ministry we use an event card that the spiritual leader has to fill out once a week. (I think it should be once a day but we are “pushing it” to be once a week) We do have an answer on how to do this, but you will need to join the Online School to begin to find out why the emotion card is so important for a husband to do.
- Gratitude also makes us healthier because stress will make a person sick and when we feel that no one is appreciative of us, we become very lonely and sad which causes stress…which can make you sick.
- Gratitude gives us strength to go on. As the spiritual leader gets in touch with his emotion it helps him to look for ways to bring back what you had when you were dating. He also misses being appreciated, but how can a wife appreciate him if he doesn’t see that he needs to do that for his wife first? Gratitude changes the heart and gives us power to see things from God’s perspective. What wife wouldn’t appreciate a husband how is like this?!
Here is a list of helping words of Appreciation to your wife. The most important thing about saying appreciative words is you have to mean them from your heart. Which means you must first learn how to be grateful to God and appreciate all the lessons He brings your way to learn what you must do to love your wife. When you have this attitude a wife knows that it is sincere and wants to let you know how grateful she is. But again, she can’t do it unless she sees a heartfelt love from you. For example: For you to say to her “Thank you for always being there for me” you first have to have shown her by example that you are always there for her.
- You give a lot and I appreciate how much you give to this family.
- Thank you for including me in your dreams of what we can do together.
- I am indebted to you for helping me become a better man for God and our family.
- You are an inspiration to me as you share with me what you read in the Bible today.
- You are a blessing to me and the family.
- You are my best friend who I love to be with.
- Our children are so fortunate to have you as their mother.
- I am fortunate to have you as my wife and I will keep working on being more like God’s plan for me.
- God knew what I needed. That’s why He brought you into my life.
- You really light up my life sweetie; I don’t know what I would do without you.
- You have helped me when I needed help when I am down.
- I love how you support me.
- Thank you for your commitment to helping me be the best spiritual leader for our home.
- When I was dating you I realized that you would complete me and you have.
- When God said, “it’s not good for a man to be alone.” This was true for me, I am so glad I found you to be my wife.
- Sometimes I don’t make you feel like you are my best friend, but you really are and I am working on making you feel like I am your best friend.
- I love how you can see things before they happen and save me lots of grief.
- I can face anything that comes my way with you by my side.
- I only have eyes for you. (Don’t say this unless you really mean this.)
- I’ll always be faithful to you. (Don’t say this unless you really mean it.)
- You bring me so much joy.
- You are beautiful inside and out.
- You’re no pushover. I love your spine of steel.
- You make it all worthwhile. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
- I’ll love you forever.
These words of appreciation are what Ken tells me all the time and is part of why I love him so. I am so sure that you can find more words of praise to share with your wife so she will want to share those words with you also. To get this kind of appreciation it must first start with the spiritual leader who is the leader of the family.
We would love have you join us at our Discovery Seminar on August 25th and 26th 2017 in Phoenix AZ and then once you go to the seminar you will be able join the CQI Online School.